Friday, February 24, 2006

Let's talk about skill level

This is prompted by the Knitting Olympics. I am not so much a joiner of things as other people are, and I really don't like to deadline myself when it comes to my knitting. I might joing a knitalong if the mood strikes me, but generally I'm kind of a loner when it comes to this kind of stuff. I have a few questions, possibly, but that's what the internet is for, and as time progresses, I find that with a little judicious googling and some sitting down and actually thinking about it, I can figure out what's going on.

And also, look, I realize that the potential for flamewars in knitting blogs his huge (and hilariously overwrought, but I guess if you really are into something and it turns into a community, then there it is). But I have to say I was really sort of disappointed with how far people really were willing to push themselves.

And I realize that it's not my place and that it's none of my business if you want to knit scarves out of Lion Brand for the rest of your life, but when the challenge is to do something challenging, I hardly thing a sock is the thing. Even if you're a scarf knitter. I mean, you've got two weeks, dude, pick something else! Pick something that is going to require some sweat, some tears, some blood! Short rows are not it.

This is all coming from a process knitter. I get bored, about halfway through, of the same old thing and end up having to push myself through to get that sense of accomplishment. But the thing is that knitting is not rocket science. So you screw up something, or don't put something else where it needs to be - rip it back and fix it, or ignore it and make it up as you go along.

I know, I am a jerk, and I am not really that interested in people's stupid wristwarmers (oh my god, wrist warmers and ponchos are going to be the goddamned death of me), and would rather see something that has required some effort, some resolve, some real hardcore attempt and bringing oneself beyond what has been done in the past. I want to always be able to say "this is a new thing I've done" with every project I start. Otherwise what's the point? Padding my wardrobe with sweaters that cost $160? When I live in Texas?

No comments: