Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Icarus


Icarus blocked
Originally uploaded by invinciblegirl.
This is what I did this summer. Well, this and not brushing my hair.

(what do you want from me? I took a month off! I am allowed to be slobby!)

Anyway, I bought this yarn while the parents were in town (Alpaca with a Twist Fino in whatever color this is...oh yeah, black) so that my mom and I could start projects together. Her mission: to knit socks. My mission, to finish this shawl in a month.

Which I did. It was way low on the difficulty scale, mainly because the lace was all at the end, and the body of the shawl was just some dumb yarnovers. Like every increasing shawl, this took forever towards the end. I added a repeat, wanting the shawl to be longer than it was originally (since most shawls are too short and my gauge is tight), and then was like "hey, stupid, you're going to run out of yarn."

Fortunately, I had two balls of Kidsilk Haze in Wicked that I had gotten as my "free" gift when signed up with Rowan last year, so I figured I would just use those for the lace pattern. I was actually really pleasantly surprised by it. The lace popped because of the mohair, and the body of the shawl looks all floaty and ethereal and the drape is nicer because the mohair is a little weightier.



It is not nearly cool enough to wear this anywhere, and it being black makes for some difficult wardrobe choices, as it is not particularly casual unless I am going to a potluck as Elsinore, Vampire Of The Li'l Smokies.

I do plan on wearing it to the opera in November, for Madame Butterfly. And yes, my hair will look different.

No comments: